You know those nights when you feel like something delish but cant be bothered with a gazillion ingredients or following a recipe to the letter? yep this is the recipe for you! the measurements are a bit loose for a couple reasons.. firstly it depends on how much food you are cooking and secondly this recipe was very off the cuff and I may not have paid full attention to have much of everything I was putting in! However when I shared it on Instagram I realised I probably should have..whoops!
So give it a go, have fun with it!
This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, simple weeknight meal
I N G R E D I E N T S
organic chicken thighs
peanut butter (we used Mayvers Smuchny)
tamari or gluten free soy sauce
chili optional but very delish
salad greens, washed and dried
cooked and cooled rice noodles
shallots, thinly sliced
highly roasted sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds
M E T H O D
Start by marinating your chicken. your dressing will depend on how much chicken you will be cooking. For this recipe we cooked 6 chicken thighs so there would be lots of extras for tomorrow’s lunches.
- In a mixing bowl or glass bowl add 2 – 3 tablespoons of peanut butter, 2 tablespoons tamari sauce, 1 tablespoon mirin, 2 teaspoons grated ginger and a splash of water. Give it a taste and adjust as needed; more salt then increase tamari, more sweetness then increase the mirin, to thick? add extra water. you want the marinade to be quite thick so the flavours stay on the chicken when cooking.
- Add the chicken, mix well to coat and place into the fridge until needed.
time to make your meal!
- When you are ready for your meal, heat a heavy-based dish – we used a cast iron pan, it would also work brilliantly on a BBQ.
- Gently add your chicken and let sit and cook gently. try not to turn and move too much as not to loose the delicious marinade to the pan.
- Prep your salad, or place your ingredients into their serving bowl as we did.
- Once chicken is cooked through, set aside to cool.
- Make your dressing. This is the same process as the marinade except you want to thin it out more with a little extra water. We also added chili here.
- finish off your salad but topping it with the chicken, a sprinkle of seeds and a splash of dressing.Be sure to get all the delicious crispy bits off the pan and serve on top.. they are the best bits!
+ you can add any salad ingredients that you fancy, I choose to keep the salad simple to let the chicken and sauce be the feature in this recipe.
+ if you are taking for lunch the next day, leave off the dressing until ready to eat. Just pack it in a little jar with your lunch and serve when ready.
+ organic chicken breast will work well too, it just tends to be a bit more dry then thigh
+ you can replace chicken all together and choose a tofu, tempeh if you prefer